Adding tasks by email using a dropbox address
This GroupCamp blog entry shows how to add tasks from your email using Project's dropbox address in the Tasks app.
You can now create tasks by email using a dropbox email address for the Tasks app in GroupCamp Project. This so-called dropbox feature in Tasks works the same way as the dropbox email address in the Files application to archive emails in your projects.
By using your regular email software (Outlook, Gmail, Apple Mail, or from your smartphone) you can now add tasks in your GroupCamp projects. Why is this a big deal? Because for each project you can assign tasks with a simple forward from your inbox. Here are a few examples of how this feature may be useful.
- Never forget to process an email. Save an email as a task.
- Assign a task to a team member right away without leaving your inbox.
- Set up your own to-do list from your inbox.
- Save emails representing customer requests as follow-up tasks.
Of course you can also compose a message and add the task dropbox address in the Cc field for the following purposes:
- Prepare a list of tasks for a team-member.
- Cc the dropbox address in your Minutes of Meeting.
- Save important project emails for future reference.
Customizing a dropbox email address for the Tasks app in every project
This is what happens when the Tasks dropbox address receives an email :
- The subject of the email becomes the description of the task,
- the body of the email is added as a comment on the task,
- any attached files are added as files within the project (in the Files app) and linked to the task
- the first person in the To: field is assigned to the task (if that person is a project member),
- the other persons in the To: field and contacts added in the Cc field become followers of the task (if they are members of that project). This means that people in Cc will receive email notifications when the task is updated or completed.
- the dropbox email address can be added in the Cc or Bcc field.
Managing your dropbox email address in the Tasks application
For the dropbox feature to be available :
- you need to have a task list in your project
- make sure the feature is enabled in your particular project or in your account.
- the task list in which tasks are added may be a private list to which you do not have access
The task email dropbox interface is shown below:
Please note that only administrators and managers can customize this setting by doing the following:
- changing the dropbox email address for your project (please avoid using accents or spaces),
- choose the list in which tasks should be added (the default list is “Dropbox”). If private objects are enabled, the list will be private by default,
- choose to automatically send email notifications,
- send to all project members the email address to be added in their address book.
This feature should help you get creative and work magic in your projects. Let us know how you are using the task dropbox to get things done.