How to manage new items followed by project members
This FAQ explains how project leaders can have members automatically follow newly created items.
In this article:
- How does automatically following items work?
- How to enable or disable automatic following in a project?
- Which items can be automatically followed?
- How do you access the Follow new items window in a project?
- How do you configure the default values of new members?
- How do you configure values for existing project members?
- How do project members manage what they follow?
- How can users manage what they follow in all of their projects?
When a new item is created, members that have been selected are added as followers. The item is added to their Inbox applications and they are notified based on their personal settings.
Enabling or disabling when members follow new items in a project can be done in the Features tab of the Project settings window.
Tasks, Task lists and Milestones, Files, Wiki pages and Posts.
Click on the Actions menu of the group and select Follow new items.
Colleagues authorized to manage project followers:
- Project Leaders can manage project followers.
Project Leaders are the colleagues selected in the Project leaders field located in the General tab of the Project settings window.
- Colleagues with the privilege: Modules> Project > User is Project Member > Manage followers can manage followers of their projects.
- Colleagues with the privilege: Modules > Project > Extended privileges > Manage all projects can manage followers of all projects.
To learn more about privileges, check out this FAQ: How to grant privileges. How to use Profiles of privileges.
In the window shown above, use the first few lines to define default values for future project members.
Note: You can define default values for new projects in the Admin panel > Settings > Modules > Project. Then use the Features tab and go down to Auto follow section.
In the window above, use the checkboxes to define new items to be automatically followed.
Project members can click on the Actions menu of the project and select Follow new items.
Project members can only configure their own followed items. They have access to a list of the other members and what they follow in read-only mode.
Users can choose what to follow in all of their projects by using the Home > Preferences appl. See this FAQ for more information: How to automatically follow new items.