How to manage new items followed by project members
This FAQ explains how project managers can have members automatically follow newly created items.
In this article:
- How does automatically following items work?
- How to enable or disable automatic following in a group?
- Which items can be automatically followed?
- How do you access the Follow new items window in a group?
- How do you configure the default values of new members?
- How do you configure values for existing group members?
- How do group members manage what they follow?
- How can users manage what they follow in all of their groups?
When a new item is created, members that have been selected are added as followers. The item is added to their Inbox applications and they are notified based on their personal settings.
Enabling or disabling when members follow new items in a project, intranet or extranet group, can be done in the Configuration tab of the Group settings window.
For all group types: Files, Wiki pages and Posts.
For project groups: Tasks, Task lists and Milestones.
Click on the Actions menu of the group and select Follow new items.
The Manage members privilege is used to access this window as a Project Manager.
In the window shown above, use the first few lines to define default values for future group members.
Note: You can define default values for new groups in the Admin panel.
In the window above, use the checkboxes to define new items to be automatically followed.
Group members can click on the Actions menu of the group and select Follow new items.
Group members can only configure their own followed items. They have access to a list of the other members and what they follow in read-only mode.
Users can choose what to follow in all of their groups by using the Home > Preferences application. See this FAQ for more information: How to automatically follow new items.